At PolySource, we pride ourselves on the technical problem solving abilities of our consultants in the field. We consistently aim to provide the best solutions for our customers, which is why our field experts are trained at every level of plastic program development. To showcase this expertise, we’ve provided a number of case studies that emphasize the PolySource advantage. We’re not just your average plastic resin distribution company, we are your partner in delivering technical solutions that your business benefits from.
Material Handling OEM
- Molder/Assembler is manufacturing food processing conveyor belts for OEM
- Using POM, due to new FDA regulations on cleaners and sanitizers, the life of the POM belt diminished, and only had a life expectancy of 4 weeks. OEM is using 400 belts per year. Each 60’ belts cost $20,000 each
- With conversion to POK, number of belts per year decrease to 80
Recommends POK Conversion from POM
- POK offers a better chemical resistance than POM
- POK has better wear than POM
- POK offers better impact then POM
Advantages of New Material
- POK offers a better chemical resistance – resulting in 3-4X multiple lifetime in service
- POK has better wear – resulting in extended life from approximately 4 weeks to 8-9 months, possibly up to a year.
- POK offers better impact then POM – resulting in a 75% reduction in belt replacement.
Total Cost Savings
- OEM eliminated -$50,800 expense per month in replacing POM belts. Total annual savings came to +$612,000…despite POK price being higher priced than POM.
- Recall concerns, from contaminated food, from broken plastic pieces, decreased with the use of POK belts avoiding damage to the brand.
- Cost of a recall and lawsuits (~> $1,000,000)
PolySource Recommended A GREATER THAN $612,000 Savings